mission | ceo statement | history |
district board | health
Alameda Hospital began as
Alameda Sanatorium, which was founded in 1894 by registered
nurse Kate Creedon. Creedon converted a small house into
a six-bed facility with a desperately needed operating
room. Before its founding, there was no medical facility
kind in Alameda. Horse drawn carriages and bicycles brought
doctors to patients’ homes and patients to doctors’ offices.
Surgeries were often performed on the kitchen table using
chloroform as the most common anesthetic.
By 1901 the hospital
had expanded to a three-story building and established
a nursing school.
In 1925 a new building was built on its present site.
As progressive then as it is now, this 110-room facility
the first hospital in the West to be completely
wired for electricity.
Numerous expansions over the
years have resulted in today's comprehensive, state-of-the-art,